Chief Science Officer at Trivita, Brazos Minshew is currently working as a CEO in So Young America, Inc. Rhinitis, also known as coryza, refers to the inflammation and the irritation that arises in the mucous membrane i.e. the inner lining of the nose.
Chief Science Officer at Trivita, Brazos Minshew is currently working as a CEO in So Young America, Inc. Rhinitis, also known as coryza, refers to the inflammation and the irritation that arises in the mucous membrane i.e. the inner lining of the nose. Among the various kinds of rhinitis i.e. bacterial, viral etc., allergic rhinitis is the one most commonly found to exist. It occurs when the patient contracts rhinitis as a result of some airborne allergens like dander or pollen. The de- granulation of the mast cells in the nose is the cause of the inflammation or irritation in case of the allergic rhinitis.
There are many ways to treat the allergic kind of rhinitis. The list below presents 5 alternate treatments modes for allergic rhinitis.
Brazos Minshew illustrates the treatment mode where needles are placed onto or into the skin of the patient at certain points i.e. acupuncture is a useful and prevalent way of treating those suffering from allergic rhinitis.
There are many herbs which can help those suffering from an allergic case of rhinitis.
- The herb- butterbur has for long been use as a treatment to asthma and for reduction of mucus. It has been noted to provide protection against the chemical induced type of allergic rhinitis response.
- Other herbs like stinging nettle, tinospora cordifolia and astragalus have been used to treat allergic rhinitis the natural and alternate way.
Yes the title says dietary adjustments and yes, minor tweaks or changes in the diet are a part of the alternative treatment to rhinitis.
- One of the most common examples of this is- Lactobacillus acidophilus which can alleviate/ reduce the reaction to pollen in some individuals.
- Vitamin C- consumption of items with high vitamin C content is helpful as it has been observed that vitamin C may be helpful in reducing allergic symptoms.
- Also a high intake of soy and the isoflavones has been found to be associated with a reduction in the prevalence of the allergic rhinitis.
- Consumption of raw milk (as against boiled milk) has inverse effects on atopy, hay fever (rhinitis) and in some cases asthma.
Many professionals have agreed upon the effectiveness of homeopathic therapies and medicines in curbing and curing allergic rhinitis. Brazos Minshew says the most common way homeopathic treatments work is to improve the immune system of the body so that it does not fall victim to the allergies. Many medicines also reduce the immune systems sensitivity and responsiveness to the allergens.
Ayurveda has a completely different perspective on allergic conditions, for it is believed in the sciencethat they are caused due to the toxins andimpurities in one’s body. Some common ayurvedic measures to counter allergic rhinitis are:
- Adding ginger, cardamom and pepper to tea preparations helps subvert allergic rhinitis.
- A combination of apple cedar vinegar and honey with cooled down boiled water on an empty stomach is also a remedy.
- Few of the ayurvedic medicines used to curb allergic rhinitis include amrutharishta, sudarsanasava, amruthotharam qwath, septilin etc.